If you're interested in living on the South Shore, Whitman, Massachusetts has a lot to offer. It's a tight-knit community with a walkable downtown area, good schools, diverse restaurants, and a stop on the MBTA commuter rail. Making it an easy commute to Boston.
Whitman is part of the regional Whitman-Hanson School District and includes the following schools:
John H. Duval Jr. Elementary School - Grades K-5
Louise A. Conley Elementary School - Grades K-5
Whitman Middle School - Grades 6-8
Whitman-Hanson Regional High School - Grades 9-12
The Preschool Academy is also housed at the Whitman-Hanson Regional High School
As of October 1, 2019, there were 3,811 students enrolled pre-kindergarten through grade twelve in the Whitman-Hanson Regional School District. For more information visit www.whrsd.org or check out Whitman's School and District Profile.
Things to Do
Whitman Town Park
Whitman boasts a wonderful, walkable downtown as well as a beautifully maintained town park with a playground, basketball court and baseball fields. In winter, the big hill, located in the center of the park, is a popular sledding location. During the summer, you can take in a concert at the gazebo.
Located at 93 Essex Street, this is a small grassy park with a paved walking trail between two ponds. Stroller-friendly and fun fishing for the whole family can be found here!
Whitman Mothers Club
Local moms can connect through the Whitman Mothers Club. Since 1945 WMC has served the town of Whitman by raising money for local charities and families in crisis. Along with charity work the club also hosts fun annual events like the Candy Cane Craft Fair and Banquet.
Ice Cream at Peaceful Meadows
Take the whole family to Peaceful Meadows for ice cream...so many delicious flavors to choose from! Since 1962, Peaceful Meadows has been serving up scoops of the freshest homemade ice cream, made right on their farm in Whitman. Peaceful Meadows has expanded to three South Shore Locations, with the Whitman location at 60 Bedford Street.
Favorite Whitman Restaurants
For breakfast and coffee we love:
- Wicked Loft - Owners are wonderful and the coffee is delicious! Also serving acai bowls, smoothies, wraps and sandwiches.
- Restoration Coffee - Recently opened in the center of town, Restoration Coffee is a small batch roaster who roasts to order specialty coffee from all over the globe.
- Cowbells Cafe - This spot for breakfast (and lunch) has a cute, country feel. Be sure to order the shredded has browns!
- Ted's Place - Serves breakfast all day!
Christo's To Go
For lunch and dinner don't miss:
- McGuiggan's Pub - Located right in Whitman center. This is an Irish sports pub with great ambiance, eight flat-screen TVs and live entertainment. McGuiggan's serves classic Irish dishes including bangers and mash, Shepards Pie, and Corned Beef. An overall great place to eat, drink, and socialize with family and friends.
- The Patio - An American restaurant serving good food--you'll find something for all tastes on their menu. The Patio has a nice atmosphere and in warmer weather, they have large glass windows that slide open.
- Thai All Seasons - Located in the center of town with amazing service and delicious Thai food.
- Regal Marketplace - Find Regal Marketplace next to the train tracks. They are best known as a liquor store/mini mart (with a good craft beer selection) but they also have a full service deli and sandwich shop with great subs and salads! And don't miss their amazing baked goods from Montilio's Bakery.
- Christo's To Go - Quick and easy takeout restaurant serving pizza and Greek dishes, including lamb, moussaka and spanakopita.
- The Venus Cafe - A staple of the Whitman community, this restaurant has been serving pizza since 1964.
- Supreme Pizza - This a family owned and operated pizza shop, in a newly renovated location. Serving pizza and subs.
Learn More About Whitman
If you are interested in learning more about Whitman, follow us on social media at @lindorealtygroup on Instagram and @lindorealtygroup on Facebook. Our agents will be reviewing their favorite Whitman businesses and restaurants throughout the month of May!